Steve Orlando, Jon Tsuei and Rubine are collaborating on a new comic at AfterShock titled Search for Hu, mixing cultural history with a family feud.
Jon Tsuei (Sera and the Royal Stars, RunLoveKill), Steve Orlando (Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Kill a Man, Project Patron) and Rubine are teaming up for Search for Hu, a new action-packed, cross-cultural title at AfterShock Comics.
“Search for Hu is a first of its kind cross-cultural action thriller, digging into a shared history of Jewish and Chinese lineage dating back to the Russian Revolution,” Orlando said while describing the series. “It’s about the cultural connections we never expect, something Jon and I discovered together. But that’s the tapestry, the story is about a man, Aaron Tse, who discovers this part of his family’s past in the most explosive way possible: when it comes back to haunt them.”
“After an attack in America, Aaron finds himself embroiled in a revenge tour of the homeland he never considered, and a family he never knew he had,” Orlando continued. “But it’s this very same family that Aaron’s mother left China to escape, and getting to the bottom of his family’s bloody internal feud might leave Aaron nothing but another dead-end on the family tree. SEARCH FOR HU is something I can’t wait to get into people’s hands. It’s the best type of action story, one that thrills you, takes you on a wild ride, and while you’re rooting through every explosive battle, shows you something new.”
“What really excites me about this book aside from the high-octane action and revenge plot is the exploration of my own heritage, something that I haven’t had the opportunity to do in my other comics work,” Tsuei added. “It turns out that the first Russian Jewish immigrants to settle in China ended up in the North-Eastern region of China, where my family was originally from before they ended up in Taiwan. The characters in this book are a reflection of Steve’s own Russian Jewish heritage and my North-Eastern Chinese background. This is a mashup I don’t think we’ve ever seen before in Western comics and I can’t wait for people to dive in.”
SEARCH FOR HU #1
- $4.99 / 32 pages / Color / 09.08.21
- Writers: Steve Orlando & Jon Tsuei
- Artist: Rubine
- Colorist: DC Alonso
- Letterer: Carlos M. Mangual
- Cover: Rubine
- Incentive Cover: Dave Johnson
- Aaron Tse lives for his family, and if he’s not careful, he’ll die for its secrets.
- When he left the military, Aaron Tse’s first thought was providing for his aging parents. His parents’ bar is experiencing hard times, and one night it’s shot to hell, with his parents critically injured in the attack.
- But this was no ordinary robbery — Aaron’s mother reveals that she fled China to escape a blood feud between the Jewish and Chinese sides of her family…both of which are powerful organized crime families. Peace existed between these two families — the Hu and the Margolis — but now it’s been broken, and Aaron must protect his parents from further violence. Aaron hops a plane to the homeland he never intended to explore, on a path to revenge he never wanted to walk.
- Written by Jon Tsuei (Sera and the Royal Stars, RunLoveKill) and Steve Orlando (Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, KILL A MAN, PROJECT PATRON) and drawn by artist sensation Rubine, SEARCH FOR HU is a fast-paced, action-packed exploration of complex cultural histories, powered by a bloody family feud.
Search for Hu #1 goes on sale Sept. 8 from AfterShock Comics.